Midwest Schipperke Rescue

Rainbow Bridge

Schipperkes available for adoption
In Memory / Honor Of
Rainbow Bridge
The Schips' Locker ----- A Boutique with Schipperke items
Upcoming Events
Sissy's Kitchen
Happy Tails
Safety Tips for your Schips
Skippy's Blog
About Us
Contact Us
The Purple Pillow Society
Blank page

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

To pay tribute to your loved one on this page send a small jpeg picture  of your departed loved one with his/her call name and dob&dod to the webmaster@midwestschipperkerescue.org

she will post your picture to the rainbowbridge page.

Trey was a lively 8 year old that came into rescue when his family could no longer care for him because of change in financial status.  Trey was friendly and enjoyed playing in a big yard with all his buds.  However, Trey had been struck by a car and was left with epilepsy.  It was difficult to control and he succumbed to the complications of heart failure and epilepsy in July 2016. 
(Sir Carver Santiago)  was the first Schipperke owned by Al & Pat Mitchell.  They found him in a local shelter after 9/11 at the age of 3.  He had been left there after the previous owner (a nuclear power plant operator) felt she could no longer provide care for him and a brother (who was never found) when the plant was put on high alert after 9/11.  Tigo was the personification of everything Schipperke.  He spent his entire life as the alpha male helping with the rescues as they came and went.  He took his job seriously and with a sense of pride made sure the newbies knew the best places to sniff out a rabbit, take a sunny snooze or where the biggest snow drifts to plow through were.  He had an uncanny ability to love and be loved -- he was my best friend and all of us miss him dearly.  Tigo passed from this earth on February 1, 2016 at he age of 16 years and 6 months surrounded by his entire family of humans and dogs.


Lord Byron 


My name is Lord Byron and I was a 16 year-old male Schipperke trained and certified in obedience with AKC papers.  I used to live in the home of a “hoarder” .  This lady kept piles of stuff, not pets.  At the time I was rescued I lived with a female Schipperke named Lady Ashley and a parrot.  My mistress had health issues (other than the hoarding) and she was told she only had a few months to live.  I was surrendered along with Lady Ashley to Midwest Schipperke Rescue in Illinois.  Once we were rescued Lady Ashley was adopted fairly quickly.  Prior to rescue I was only allowed outside for ½ hour with Ashley.  I ate a lot of peanut butter – the house was reported to be full of empty cans of it.  Lady Ashley and I were barely housebroken and had no idea on how to tell anyone we needed to go out.  I have a coat that is as soft as eiderdown.   In the last year my pace slowed and I lost all my hearing but mom and dad still love me and my friends help me get around when I need it.  I sleep a lot of the time now to.  Mom and Dad consider me special – the words I keep hearing is courageous and cooperative.  I could easily be overlooked because I don’t make much of a fuss about anything – I simply live my life quietly with dignity and mom says that is pretty special – sometimes we just forget the quiet ones among us. 


I'm Chutney. I'm 14 years-old and I can't hear anymore. I do know doggie sign and follow my fellow Schips. I am mixed with Chow. But, I love everyone.



Harry was a 9 lb Schipperke that came to us to foster.  Harry would hide in the tall grass and was difficult to get inside- well, he had lived outside for most of his life but he was ten and he needed to be taken care of a little better.  My husband and I would find ourselves sorting through the tall grass and under pine trees on our slightly less than a 1/2 acre lot, looking for the little guy.  He didn't answer to his name, he didn't know he had a name.  He didn't understand a lot of things like eating out of a bowl, or that water bowls were that and not pools!  Forget getting picked up-no way- who would want to hug me? 

 Gradually, over a period of time with consistent persistence we won him over to at least following the rest of the pack.  Eight months after he arrived, on Christmas Eve, I was in the kitchen cooking when I felt a very light touch on the back of my leg -  I ignored it.  With several dogs in the house, I am always getting nudged. It was repeated a few moments later and then again, someone was persistent!! I looked down and there was Harry, THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME HE HAD INITIATED CONTACT WITH ME!!  He looked up and did a bouncy step as if to say Merry Christmas Mom!  I sat down and cried.

Those touches have become a lot more frequent, he loves a good belly rub and has developed a Harry happy dance!  Recently he has begun to ask to be picked up and sits on mom or dad's lap for a good half hour at a time - the amazing power of love and security!! 

Harry lived to the ripe old age of 15 before he began to suffer the symptoms of doggie dementia.  He had never left our home.  It was a beautiful spring day when our vet came to our home.  Harry was with his family and friends when the time came for him to cross the Rainbow Bridge which he did in my arms.  Thank you Harry.


 Dirt Devil

Many of you had the pleasure of meeting Dirt Devil, one of Midwest Schipperke Rescue's lifers, at the St. Louis Schipperke Specialties.  Big D came to me in 2005 at age 12, a very small male that had not sold at the dog auction in Missouri that weekend. If the rescue group had not taken him he would have been disposed of as he no longer could breed bitches.  He was thin, had lower canines that pointed east and west, and, as we found out, had been beaten so severely that the vertebrae in his neck had been crushed.  He was not able to lift his head past the level of his shoulders and before we got the swelling under control was in excruciating pain.  From that time on he could only be fed or watered with raised bowls as he could not lower his head easily to eat or drink.
He was also one of those dogs who had obviously lived in an environment where he got no positive human interaction and had emotionally shut down.  He was vacant, he froze in place or crouched when I went to pick him up or handle him in any way.  He had dead eyes, the loving dog he might have been was tucked away in a place a human would have to earn the right to visit.   With all this and at his age he was a lifer rescue and would spend the rest of his days with Tom and I in our home with our own dogs and the various other rescues that come through here.
After two years of care, good food and constant handling, he would finally be relaxed enough to "help" me pick him up by giving a little hop when he felt my hands near him.  The day he turned to me and bumped his nose to my face on purpose was a milestone.  It was the first time he had voluntarily looked into my eyes and made the first move at contact.  The next bump involved a small lick, an act which he only repeated a few more times in his time with me.  It was the best he could do.
In the five years he was with us I watched this little dog go from an empty shell of a dog to a full fledged schipperke.  While he never played with toys, he would wear his belly band (I never could housebreak him) in the house and prance around, always looking into a cabinet or box to see what was there.  He finally would allow me to lift him to the couch and sit for petting or grooming without going back into vacant mode and just enduring whatever the human wanted this time.
He had a weird bark, sort of like a bull elk bordering on a screech owl which meant it was time for dinner.....NOW.  As he aged he lost most of his sight and hearing but until the last two days never lost his appetite.  He needed a lot of care these past few months as I tried to control his pain and compensate for his loss of teeth.  He loved his Pedigree choice cuts and I was feeding him three times a day to keep weight on his aging body.  He became incontinent and we had to change his bedding 4-5 times a day.
Friends who would watch him  if both Tom and I were out of town always had the scares of their lives.  He would sleep so soundly and with his being almost fully deaf, everyone thought he was dead every morning!  You had to shake him to wake him up, he could sleep through all the dogs barking, crates shaking and food bowls banging.  But he kept on going year after year.
In the last month he really started a downhill slide that neither he nor I could stop.  I asked him to stay until Christmas and he did the best he could.  His kidneys shut down late Christmas Eve and he became disoriented and would not eat.  He was in pain, only the second time I ever heard him cry.  Christmas Morning Tom and I took him to the emergency clinic and let him go.  It was the only gift we had for him this time.
I brought him back to the house as I wanted to take him to my vet for individual cremation.  When I laid him on the couch, the rest of the dogs didn't bark, which was very unusual.  Instead, they all began the most mournful howling I've ever heard.  It was not anything like their usual excited singing.  They knew he was gone.
The hole in my heart is enormous. That little snaggle toothed boy was as dear to me any any of my show dogs, more so in some ways because he only got to experience a few years of a good life, his first 12 were spent in an environment no dog should live in. I can only hope that the life he had with me made up for those first years in some small way.
My husband Tom gave me a card today which read: "Thanks for bringing Dirt Devil into our lives.  He taught me about patience, courage, trust and love."  Until we meet again, rest well Big D, you've earned it.



Sunny is on the left sharing water with his buddy Doobie.  Doobie came into rescue from a shelter south of Detroit.  He was a mess when he arrived.  He was very thin, was covered in fleas and had serious flea bite dermatitis.  It took a while to get him back in shape.  He had one bent/deformed front leg though it did not slow him down. We x-rayed it and it was never broken.  It was probably bent in utero and was never taken care of when he was born.  We have no idea how old he was when he came in but figured he was into his teens when he finally crossed the Bridge.  He was one of those special dogs that come along and made you fall in love no matter what he looked or acted like.  He was one awesome dog.



Rest in Peace Sunny.  He came from a shelter in Mid Michigan. They called to say they found him, he could not use his back legs and did we still want to take him.  Of course we said yes.  We named him Sunny because of his happy personality.  He could sort of walk once on his feet but he moved like a drunken sailor.  We had him x-rayed and it turned out he had no discs between c 3, 4 and 5 in his neck.  He was on prednisone to keep down any swelling and given rugs to walk on so he would not slip and fall.  He did well for about 18 months, and then got to the point he would only drag himself around using his front legs.  That is when we thought a cart/wheel chair would help him.  He learned to use it at the National Specialty in MI in April and decided this was pretty good.  He got around very well until almost the end when the issue in his neck became too much and we had to let him go, 




Darling little Connor was returned to rescue when family circumstances changed.  He was a loving little dog with a great temperament and a lively sense of fun.  He died suddenly at the age of 8 in our arms from either a stroke or a heart attack on May 1, 2014. 

Porgy was a senior when he came into rescue at the age of 14.  Due to the financial constraints of a major illness his family was no longer able to care for him and gave him up to a local shelter.  He came into rescue and stayed with us until his passing in February  2014 at home surrounded by his friends and family.
Roo had been rescued at the age of 1 after having been put with a pack of Dobermans.  He arrived with a fever and a major chip on his shoulder.  He was never able to tolerate strangers but other small black dogs were OK.  After battling a long illness he was released to God’s loving arms on October 15, 2014. 



Kiwi was only with us for a very short time.  She had come to us from an animal control  facility who understood that she did not deserve to die just because her owners thought she was to old.  After all. She was only 15.  She was a sweet gentle soul with the weight of the world in her eyes.  She was the first one up in the morning and greeted you with a wagging tail and lots of love licks shared with friends.  She snoozed in the sunny patches made by the windows in our home.  She didn’t ask for much; loving family, a place to live out her days, happiness.  I hope we gave her that.  Sadly Kiwi developed an abdominal mass which would not allow her to keep food down and we had to let her go three very short months after she had come to live with us.  Keep her close God,  she was very special.



I'm Royce I am 17 years-young.  I reside in foster care with Howard and Mary.  I have been here for 5 years.  Sadly Royce passed on 11/11/11.  God Speed Royce.

Midwest Schipperke Rescue  2766 Heathfield Bloomfield, MI 48301  (248)644-7876

Volunteer Application

Adoption Application

  copywrite2011  Midwest Schipperke Rescue a 501(c)(3) organization